Post-consumer plastic is recycled plastic from items that people use daily, including plastic bottles, bags, and containers. Commercial and residential recycling programs usually collect these plastic materials from the consumer and then ship them to recycling firms where they are sorted according to the type of plastic. The recycling firms shred the plastic materials into fine granules, which are melted and reprocessed into new plastic products made of post-consumer recycled (PCR) material.
Read on to learn more about PCR and how we at PPP, LLC play a role in producing sustainable solutions.
Creating Plastic Resin from Post-Consumer Material
Here are the main steps to create post-consumer resin (PCR) from plastic post-consumer materials (PCM).
- Separate the PCM into two groups: high-density and low-density plastics.
- These categories are split further into two subgroups: clear and mixed color.
- Each type of the sorted PCM scrap is ground into small pieces, then melted down into HDPE (high-density polyethylene) and LD/LLDPE (low-density/linear low-density polyethylene) PCR resin pellets.
PCR-Certified Supplier of Recycled Plastic Resin
The plastic recycling industry is controlled internationally by the Association of Plastic Recyclers (APR). APR created a post-consumer resin certification program to help increase the supply and demand of PCR. The association ensures the certification is accessible and consistent for PCR producers and users alike.
APR members include consumer product companies, commercial and residential companies, and companies that process resins. In California, assembly members introduced Assembly Bill 478, which states that thermoformed plastic containers sold in the region should contain at least 20% PCR. California’s plastic reclaimers and producers that meet these requirements are considered PCR-certified.
PPP, LLC is a PCR-certified supplier in compliance with California Senate Bill 270, which aims to limit waste from single-use plastic carryout bags. We follow the requirements of the proposed legislation to ensure that we pass all annual inspections.
Benefits of Post-Consumer Resins
The post-consumer recycled (PCR) resin market has been facing a healthy growth rate in recent years. This trend has been triggered by increased awareness of the negative impacts of excess plastic waste and the need to recycle.
PCR has numerous benefits, including:
- Good for the environment: PCR plays a significant role in environmental conservation. Excess plastic released into the environment continues to negatively impact wildlife and the environment. Recycling plastic materials instead of disposing of them after a single use greatly lowers carbon gas emissions. A company that uses PCR in its products significantly reduces its carbon footprint compared to a company that only uses virgin plastic materials.
- Cost savings: Post-consumer resins have a more significant return on investment than virgin resin. The price of petroleum-based raw materials has been steadily rising, so the cost of most plastic is subject to the volatility of the petrochemical market. PCR is projected to remain stable, which means that costs will also remain constant. Using PCR allows you to increase your bottom line.
- Marketing your zero-waste pledge: PCR is ideal for marketing your zero-waste pledge, which discourages disposing of single-use materials and encourages recycling them, especially plastic. Using PCR as a regular part of your production line means you’ll be able to market your business as one that is committed to environmental sustainability.
PPP, LLC’s Commitment to Sustainability
At PPP, LLC, we believe in environmental conservation and recycling plastic to give it new purpose. With over 50 years of recycling experience, we specialize in grinding, pelletizing, and recycling HDPE plastic and LDPE plastic scrap. The PCR we produce rejoins the manufacturing supply chain in a variety of industries, including food packaging and residential construction.
Request a quote today and let us help you with your post-consumer resin needs.